High Quality Wood Furniture: The Best Sources Of Furniture
- What Makes Wood Furniture High Quality?
- Go with Reputable Brands
- Expect to Pay More
- Choose the Right Wood Type
- Properly Maintain Your Furniture
- Other Benefits
The furniture market offers an overwhelming amount of choices. With so many options worldwide, deciding what to buy can become daunting. If you seek quality wooden pieces with distinctive designs, here are some tips for finding high-quality wood furniture.
What Makes Wood Furniture High Quality?
Several factors indicate high-quality wood furniture:
- Joints: Look for dovetail or mortise-and-tenon joints, indicating sturdy construction.
- Finish: A smooth, even finish without an artificial sheen shows care and quality work.
- Feel: The piece should be solid and well-made, not flimsy or cheap.
Go with Reputable Brands
For guaranteed quality, stick with trusted brands with a reputation for durability and longevity. Pottery Barn, Ethan Allen, and Restoration Hardware specialize in beautiful, heirloom-quality wooden furniture.
Expect to Pay More
High-quality wood furniture costs more than cheaply made pieces. However, the price difference often reflects the longevity of the investment - these pieces will last lifetimes with proper care. The expense is worth it for furniture you'll love for years.
Choose the Right Wood Type
Not all wood furniture is created equal. The main high-quality options:
- Solid wood: The strongest, most durable option made from a single piece of wood. An investment for the ages.
- Veneer: Thin layer of real wood over cheaper material makes a visually appealing, albeit less durable, alternative.
- Laminate: Plastic laminate over a wooden core provides durability at a lower price point. However, not as resilient as solid wood.
Shop For High-Quality Wooden Furniture
Look in these places for the best wooden furniture:
- Specialty wood furniture stores for a focused selection of higher-end pieces.
- Online retailers with access to a wide array of quality wooden pieces.
- Local artisans or custom furniture makers for truly one-of-a-kind pieces, albeit at a premium price.
Properly Maintain Your Furniture
To get the most from your investment:
- Dust regularly with a soft cloth.
- Vacuum gently using the upholstery brush.
- Spot clean spills quickly with a mild soap and water solution.
- Avoid harsh chemicals or abrasive cleaners that can damage the finish.
- Address small issues promptly to prevent further damage.
High-quality wood furniture offers valuable benefits beyond aesthetics:
- Durability: It will last a lifetime with proper care.
- Style: Heirloom pieces elevate the look and feel of any space.
- Low maintenance: Less time and effort spent caring for sturdy, resilient wooden furniture.
With some know-how and patience, you can bring home beautiful, distinctive wooden furniture pieces that will grace your home for decades.